NERC's environmental performance is monitored and managed by the Environmental Professionals Group (EPG). EPG implements initiatives across the NERC estate to minimise environmental impact and lower carbon emissions.
Details of NERC's environmental, environmental travel and energy policies can be found on the NERC policies page.
Targets and objectives
New targets for 2015-20 were agreed in December 2015 and finalised in March 2016. Progress towards them is reviewed regularly.
NERC sets objectives and targets on the following:
Legal compliance and achievement of standards
- Avoiding legal breaches.
- Gaining accreditation to recognised Environmental Management Standards.
- Retaining Carbon Trust Standard accreditation.
Environmental monitoring and reporting
- Publishing details of our environmental performance.
- Benchmarking our performance.
Carbon reduction and utility management
- Establishing carbon management plans.
- Running energy awareness campaigns.
- Running environmental awareness campaigns.
- Implementing sustainable procurement.
- Establishing a Sustainable Procurement Working Group.
- Informing staff on progress with sustainable procurement.
- Increasing staff awareness on sustainable procurement.
Travel and transport
- Establishing a corporate environmental travel policy.
- Measuring the carbon footprint associated with travel.
- Promoting video conferencing.
- Recording amounts of waste generated.
- Reporting greenhouse gases / ozone depletion potential from refrigeration.
Sustainable buildings and construction
- Achieving 'excellent' BREEAM ratings.
Environmental training and awareness
- Inducting staff on environmental management.
- Implementing a communications plan.
Biodiversity and habitat management
- Promoting biodiversity.
- Maintaining emergency plans that minimise environmental impacts.
Our Sustainability Report, on progress and achievements towards our sustainability targets, appears every year in NERC's Annual Report. The information is produced in accordance with HM Treasury's requirement for public sector annual sustainability reports.
The report includes statistics on greenhouse gas emissions, waste minimisation and management, water consumption, biodiversity action planning and sustainable procurement across our sites, and as a result of work by our staff in the course of their duties including research operations.
Our brief case studies will tell you a bit more about some of our environmental achievements across NERC estates.