Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation
The governance of the ESPA programme encompasses a number of different bodies which undertake different roles. These bodies and their relationships are shown in the programme governance structure diagram below. The terms of reference for the governance of the programme can be found below.
Programme Executive Board
The Programme Executive Board is responsible for the delivery and strategic direction of the programme, ensuring it achieves its stated objectives and meets the strategic needs of the funding partners (DFID, NERC and ESRC). The funding partners are the decision making executives, with other executives operating in an advisory capacity.
- Steve Bass, International Institute for Environment & Development (Chair)
- Alessandro Moscuzza, Department for International Development
- Pamela Kempton, Natural Environment Research Council
- Julie McLaren, Economic & Social Research Council
Programme Management Unit
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) is responsible for the overall management, coordination and delivery of the programme on a day to day basis. The PMU consists of the Programme Management Group, the Secretariat and the Directorate.
Programme Management Group
The Programme Management Group (PMG) consists of members of the three funding partners with the authority to make decisions regarding the management and operations of the programme on non-strategic matters. The PMG is accountable to the PEB.
- Robert MacIver, Department for International Development
- Beth Woodward, Natural Environment Research Council
- Jo Duffy, Economic & Social Research Council
The Secretariat is based at the Natural Environment Research Council, which is responsible for the management of the programme on behalf of the funding partners. This includes financial management, procurement and grant awarding, which are carried out according the policies and procedures of the research councils and the Shared Services Centre (which supports the research councils' activities).
- Beth Woodward
- Beth Taylor
- Jodie Clarke
The Directorate is based at the University of Edinburgh and is responsible for leading on the implementation of ESPA activities (except for the grants awarding process), ensuring the coordination of all ESPA activities, and undertaking other activities which add value to the programme. The Director will provide the overall intellectual leadership for the programme and act as the de facto head of the programme (except in terms of financial management) under the authority of the PEB.
- Professor Paul van Gardingen, University of Edinburgh (Director)
- Professor Georgina Mace, Imperial College London (Associate Director)
International Programme Advisory Committee
The International Programme Advisory Committee (I-PAC) will provide independent advice to the programme, as required, in relation to strategic and technical aspects of the programme.
- Atiq Rahman, Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies (Co-Chair)
- Kate Brown, University of East Anglia (Co-Chair)
- John Adeoti, Nigerian Institute of Social & Economic Research (NISER)
- Moses Chimbari, University of Botswana
- Declan Conway, University of East Anglia
- Christo Fabricious, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University and Resilience Alliance
- Jian Liu, UNEP / Chinese Academy of Science
- Janet Ranganathan, World Resources Institute
- Frances Seymour, Immediate past Director General of CIFOR
- Virgílio Viana, Amazonas Sustainable Foundation