Analytical Science and Technology
Announcement of Opportunity for studentship proposals
NERC Technologies theme
The Announcement of Opportunity has now closed.
NERC in collaboration with the Trustees of the Analytical Chemistry Trust Fund (ACTF) of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) invite studentship proposals for PhD projects related to the development of new analytical techniques suitable for use in environmental science.
Proposals should be from prospective research supervisors for studentships to commence in autumn 2013. It is anticipated that up to 8 studentships will be supported in this round.
The scope of this programme covers the full breadth of environmental science and all areas of analytical science (laboratory and field). These studentships must include a comprehensive training programme, including supervision in both environmental and analytical science, and be likely to make significant contributions to the advancement of analytical science in the UK.
Studentship proposals addressing these key issues are welcomed:
- Proposals submitted must focus on the development of novel analytical techniques with applications relevant within the full breadth of environmental science supported by NERC. Proposals should demonstrate excellence and innovation in research both in analytical science and technology, and in environmental science.
- The call encourages projects that will exploit institutional, commercial or Research Council investments in high-value, high-technology analytical facilities. Such projects should clearly demonstrate the analytical novelty and added value to the facility.
- The scope of this programme of studentships extends into all areas of analytical science, and explicitly encompasses both laboratory and field techniques, including the development of sensor-based measurement systems and optical analytical techniques.
- Supervision arrangements for students must incorporate knowledge of analytical technology and environmental science. The involvement of project partners may help in this respect.
- ACTF and NERC welcome the engagement of new research groups in order to both expand the breadth and depth of the analytical science research community and to encourage new academic researchers to begin their research careers in analytical science.
Please see the Announcement of Opportunity document below for full details.