Spin out success beckons
19 November 2007
Press release issued jointly by Oxford Brookes University and the Natural Environment Research Council.
World renowned scientists at Oxford Brookes University and the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) have collaborated to launch a spin out company providing products, services and consultancy to global pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
Oxford Expression Technologies Ltd's unique products and services are based on patents, know-how and materials developed jointly by the University and CEH - one of the Natural Environment Research Council's (NERC) research centres.
Both NERC and Oxford Brookes are among the shareholders in the new enterprise.
OET is best known for producing a technology called "flashBAC" that enables researchers in both academia and industry to produce proteins more easily and more cost-effectively using automated, high throughput techniques.
The proteins can then be used for a variety of purposes such as in the development of new drugs and for more targeted research on understanding how proteins work in health and disease.
One of the founders of Oxford Expression Technologies, Professor Linda King, of Oxford Brookes University said, "We're thrilled that OET has become a fully fledged company in its own right.
"We've been providing commercial services for nearly five years but we realised that to fly higher and achieve its full potential in the commercial market, OET needed to be recognised as a serious business enterprise.
"Thanks to the financial backing of private investors, and importantly their business knowledge and expertise, we believe we will be able to launch into a much bigger and wider market."
James Bernard, co-investor and acting CEO is delighted to be involved, "At OET we have a fascinating blend of talent and expertise, and I know the products being developed, together with new ideas in the pipeline are going to have a major impact in the market. Exciting times are ahead!"
Public Relations Team
Oxford Brookes University
Tel: 01865 484442
NERC Press Office
Natural Environment Research Council
Polaris House, North Star Avenue
Swindon, SN2 1EU
Tel: 01793 411561
Mob: 07917 557215
1. Oxford Expression Technologies is a world-renowned centre of excellence for baculovirus protein expression. It is now marketing commercial products based upon its flashBAC protein expression technology.
2. The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology is the UK's leading research organisation for land and freshwater science. Its scientists carry out research to improve our understanding of both the environment and the processes that underlie the Earth's support systems. It is one of the Natural Environment Reseach Council's research centres.
3. The Natural Environment Research Council funds world-class science in universities and its own research centres, that increases knowledge and understanding of the natural world.
4. The NERC Commercialisation Team works with scientists within NERC's four wholly-owned Research Centres (British Antarctic Survey, British Geological Survey, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology and the Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory) to identify commercial development opportunities for technologies developed through research projects, identify collaborators and negotiate licenses. The team has worked with CEH and Oxford Brookes University to successfully spin-out OET Ltd.
Press release: 46/07
Recent press news
- Billion-year-old water could hold clues to life on Earth and Mars
- New Director of Science for NERC
- Plants use underground networks to warn of enemy attack
- BIOMASS mission given go ahead to launch in 2020
- Dr Katharine Giles
- New Director for the British Antarctic Survey
- Plans to strengthen UK-Indian collaboration in Earth sciences and environmental research
- CryoSat-2 mission reveals major Arctic sea-ice loss
- UK and USA collaborate in airborne climate science projects
- New capital investments for NERC