New Director for the British Antarctic Survey
21 March 2013
Professor Jane Francis has been appointed as the new Director of the British Antarctic Survey (BAS).
Chief Executive of the Natural Environment Research Council, Duncan Wingham said, "I am delighted to have Jane Francis join NERC as the new Director of the British Antarctic Survey. She joins us at a time in which our need to understand the polar regions has never been more important.
"Jane comes to us with an impressive track record of leadership and achievement in one of the outstanding UK university departments, and is a widely recognised and popular figure in the polar world. We very much welcome her to her new role."
Jane Francis, a geologist by training, is Professor of Palaeoclimatology at the University of Leeds where she is currently Dean of the Faculty of Environment. She has research interests in ancient climates, particularly of the polar regions, and has undertaken numerous scientific expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic, working in collaboration with research teams from many other countries. In 2002 she was awarded the Polar Medal in recognition of her contribution to British Polar Science.
Commenting on her appointment, Jane Francis said, "I am very much looking forward to taking up this position in such a prestigious organisation as the British Antarctic Survey. Polar science is a really exciting area to work in and there are a lot of great opportunities for BAS, in partnership with the UK polar community, to lead the way in addressing some critical challenges to our understanding of how polar systems operate."
Jane will take up her new post on 1 October 2013, at which time the current interim Director BAS, Professor Alan Rodger, will stand down.
NERC Press Office
Natural Environment Research Council
Polaris House, North Star Avenue
Swindon, SN2 1EU
Tel: 01793 411561
Mob: 07917 557215
Briefing note: 05/13
Recent press news
- NERC invests in scheme to solve business problems using environmental data
- Science Budget allocations 2015-16
- NERC signs MoU with multinational energy company Shell
- NERC invests £4.6 million in Big Data
- Research on the effects of storm surges on sand dunes to aid coastal management
- Entrepreneurial scientists scoop prize money at competition finals
- NERC announces the winner of its first photo and essay competition
- NERC supports growth with responsible environmental management in energy sector
- Better modelling of tsunami zones could help insurance quotes
- NERC signs MoU with global engineering consultancy Arup