Science budget announcement and NERC Delivery Plan 2011-2015
20 December 2010
The Natural Environment Research Council's Chief Executive, Professor Alan Thorpe, has welcomed today's announcement of the science budget allocation and publication of the NERC Delivery Plan 2011-2015.
He said, "Given the level of cuts being applied across many Government departments, NERC has received a favourable allocation. This demonstrates the value that research brings to the UK. Environmental science is vital in coping with the changes that are happening."
For the first time, the NERC allocation will be split into three budgets: programme, capital and administration.
By the end of the spending review period the annual NERC programme budget will have reduced by 3% (excluding the effects of inflation). This budget will support the vital strategic research programmes, responsive mode, national capability, postgraduate training, knowledge exchange and other activities described in the delivery plan.
The NERC capital budget will be reduced by 50% from 2012-13. Additional funds allocated to us through the BIS Large Facilities Capital Fund will enable us to complete the three major capital projects that are already underway: the Halley Antarctic base, replacement of the research ship Discovery and building at the Keyworth site. Aside from these projects, it will be very difficult to support new capital projects in the coming years unless additional funds can be secured.
The administration budget is yet to be announced, but is expected to be reduced.
Despite these budget reductions, NERC will protect front-line science as much as possible by reinvesting efficiency savings into priority science areas.
To ensure NERC continues to meet its strategic goals, the Delivery Plan 2011-2015 sets out how NERC will deliver five actions during the spending review period.
NERC Press Office
Natural Environment Research Council
Polaris House, North Star Avenue
Swindon, SN2 1EU
Tel: 01793 411561
Mob: 07917 557215
1. The NERC Delivery Plan 2011-2015 is available to download.
Briefing note: 08/10
Recent press news
- NERC funding contributes to prize-winning project
- Older males make better fathers says new research on beetles
- Origins of 'The Hoff' crab revealed
- Treating infection may have sting in the tail, parasite study shows
- Current affairs make life hard for stickleback dads
- New appointments to NERC Council
- Funding to help understand soil's key role in Global Food Security
- NERC air quality research shown in parliament
- Billion-year-old water could hold clues to life on Earth and Mars
- New Director of Science for NERC