NERC Training Advisory Group (TAG) Chair and Members
Professor Jane Francis has been announced as the first chair of the new NERC Training Advisory Group (TAG). She starts this role on 22 May 2012.
'We are very pleased to have Professor Francis join as chair of the Training Advisory Group.' said NERC Chief Executive Professor Duncan Wingham, 'Her track record of chairing senior bodies, and experience of environmental sciences training, make her well qualified to provide a strong contribution to the work of the TAG.'
Professor Jane Francis is currently the Dean of the Faculty of the Environment, at the University of Leeds. Jane was awarded the Polar Medal in 2002 for her contribution to British research in the polar regions, in recognition of her work on fossil plants and ancient climates of the Arctic and the Antarctic.
She has a PhD in Geology/Biology from the University of Southampton, held a NERC postdoc Fellowship at the University of London and was a postdoc Research Fellow at the University of Adelaide in Australia for five years. She has also worked for the British Antarctic Survey.
Along with Professor Francis, we also welcome the inaugural members:
- Professor Terence Burke - University of Sheffield
- Professor Philip Donoghue - University of Bristol
- Ellen Pearce - CRAC and Vitae
- Professor Simon Redfern - University of Cambridge
- Dr Nigel Cassidy - Keele University
- Professor Andrew George - Imperial College London
- Professor Rachel Mills - University of Southampton based at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC)
- Professor Katherine Whaler - University of Edinburgh
- Dr William Morgan - University of Manchester and the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS)
Two members based in industry/business are still sought; if you are interested in taking on this role please contact NERC's Head of Skills and Careers, Kirsty Grainger.
Membership is for one year in the first instance. Full biographies will be posted on the NERC website shortly.
The TAG's first meeting takes place on 22 May 2012. The group has been set up following the NERC Training Mechanism Review.