The Natural Environment Research Council is the UK's main agency for funding and managing research, training and knowledge in the environmental sciences. NERC undertakes some of the world's most exciting research projects, tackling major issues such as climate change, environmental influences on human health and the genetic make up of life.
Working internationally, NERC operates from many diverse locations throughout the world, runs a fleet of research ships, aircraft and other infrastructure and invests in satellite technology. NERC operates a number of wholly owned research centres, a number of collaborative centres and also funds research within UK universities.
NERC recognises the important role it has in managing the impact of its day-to-day operations on the environment and in promoting the principles of sustainability in all of its activities.
1. NERC is committed to:
- reducing carbon emissions from its infrastructure and estate;
- developing a strategic approach to energy management and carbon reduction in NERC;
- monitoring, targeting and reporting energy usage, including setting targets for energy consumption and CO2 emissions, and monitoring performance against targets.
2. NERC is committed to achieving energy efficiency best practice throughout its activities by:
- audit and assessment of buildings within NERC estate in order to provide Display Energy Certificates, Energy Performance Certificates and identification of energy efficiency opportunities;
- investment in alternative energy sources, where practicable;
- working with the Research Council Procurement Group in obtaining the best available energy efficient equipment;
- implementation of an energy efficiency programme;
- reporting on the achievement of energy targets and energy saving projects undertaken;
- promoting the efficient use of energy through training of staff and contractors on energy issues, and stating that minimising energy impact while carrying out NERC business is a major requirement;
- evaluating energy management and carbon reduction projects, including quantifying real savings and other benefits.
NERC will regularly review this policy and ensure that corrective and preventative actions have been taken to ensure continual improvement.
Signed by NERC Executive Board 2009.
The NERC energy policy is available as a PDF download.