SISB terms of reference
The terms of reference of the Science & Innovation Strategy Board (SISB) are to:
- support Council in developing a NERC strategy that reflects NERC's Charter and the national, European and global needs and challenges facing the environmental sciences and advise Council on maintaining the health of the UK environmental science base.
- develop and recommend to Council priorities, programmes and other initiatives that will deliver the NERC strategy through the funding streams of Responsive Mode (including training), Research Programmes and National Capability based on indicative financial planning allocations set by Council.
- ensure that NERC science contributes to the economic well-being and quality of life in the UK and around the world by promoting Knowledge Exchange as an integral part of NERC business.
- monitor and report to Council on implementation of the NERC strategy by the evaluation of scientific outputs and their potential impacts using the Strategic Management Tool and associated processes.
- evaluate and subsequently advise Council on opportunities and challenges in UK environmental science, including research and training, monitoring and survey, managing scientific data and exploitation of research and training investments.
- advise Council on setting the NERC standards for quality of research and training from assessment of proposals through to evaluation of scientific output and performance.
SISB will implement the terms of reference with an annual or biannual cycle of business that takes account of an annually refreshed plan of options for growth and reduction in:
- future research and training opportunities in Responsive Mode.
- Theme Action Plans that identify the strategic science priorities of the Research Programmes.
- recommendations for environmental survey and monitoring, shared services and research infrastructure and facilities, as identified in the annual report of the National Capability Advisory Group sub-committee of SISB.
In considering all of the funding streams SISB will take account of:
- exploitation of research investments through knowledge exchange.
- opportunities for joint international or cross-Council programmes.
- stakeholder engagement.
- data management and curation.
SISB will maintain processes to ensure it meets these terms of reference.
As approved by NERC Council on 8 May 2008